Kevin: Looking forward and back

How is it already August 2013 and I’m soon to be starting my Junior year in college?? I am sitting here starting to think about classes this fall, buying textbooks, and moving back to campus and I have no idea where the time has gone. It seems like not too long ago I was finishing up a summer’s worth of Chemistry research at Linfield, and not too much longer before that I was just heading off to college. Instead both of those are one and two years ago, respectively. I’d like to take a step back and reflect on my sophomore year and where I am to date after two years of my Linfield education. This past year was one I will never forget. I made some awesome new friends while enhancing old friendships. I have developed more relationships with professors than I can even name off the top of my head, all of which have undoubtedly had a major positive impact on my education. I have had numerous opportunities to explore my passions, both in and out of my majors. I have had opportunities for research as well as presenting at both regional and national conferences. All of these opportunities have allowed me to build a substantial resume for an undergraduate, one that led to one of the greatest opportunities of all: a summer research internship at Northwestern University. I am here through a program called Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) here at Northwestern. There is not doubt in my mind that the opportunities I have taken advantage of at Linfield have put me where I am this summer. So as I look back on my last two years Linfield I am very thankful. At the same time I look forward, and I honestly can barely contain the excitement. I can only imagine the great things these next two years have in store as I continue my education at the school I have come to call home.