Austin: Action-Packed Weekend!

Wildstock with friends! Wildstock! So many people! The Dalai Lama speaking  Red Hot Chili Peppers!

I was looking forward to this weekend for a long time, and I can’t believe it’s already done! Friday the entire campus celebrated Wildstock, a Linfield tradition. Every year, near the end of the semester, the school puts on an outdoor concert packed with local food vendors and games. This year, the bands The Ready Set and Outasight performed, and the field was full of free food from Thai Country, Ribslayer, El Primo, and there was inflatable laser tag, as well as an inflatable slide. The concert was great, and it was lots of fun to celebrate the ending of a solid semester with friends.

The next morning came early when two busses of Linfield students traveled to the Coliseum convention center in downtown Portland to hear His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama speak. What an incredible experience it was to be in a theater with 11,000 people gathered around to hear him, as well as three prominent political figures speak at an Environmental Summit. The Dalai Lama is hilarious; he was cracking jokes left and right, and had no problem communicating his ideas and wisdom through his translator. It was an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I’m grateful that Linfield subsidized the tickets so I was able to enjoy the program for only $10! A few of my friends and I hung out at the Portland Saturday Market and enjoyed tasty Thai food (my favorite) and explored the market. After his speech, the Red Hot Chili Peppers put on a great show. Once we returned back to campus, I attended the Theater’s production of Spring Awakening. The musical was absolutely moving, and filled with incredible talent. It was fun to see some of my friends acting and showing their true passion and love for Theater.

Sunday rolled around and was filled with plenty of homework and stress about the upcoming finals week. I have quite a few papers, finals, and presentations this week, but as the semester is drawing to an end, I’m still quick to enjoy the last few days of freshman year with friends. I can’t believe it’s almost over!

Until next time,

-Austin