Austin: Weekends

Salt and Straw Ice Cream in Portland   The Waterfront in PortlandView from the top of Cascade HeadFriends at the top of the trail

What is there to do on weekends?

I often get questions from prospective students and their families about what students do during the weekends while at Linfield. What is great about Linfield’s location is how central it really is. Forty-five minutes one direction you can be in Portland and find major shopping, great food, interesting culture, and much more. Forty-five minutes the other direction you can be at the beach, enjoying the ocean and (hopefully) the sun. Also around the ocean-areas are fantastic hiking trails which I am slowly discovering during my time here. Additionally, you don’t have to go off campus during the weekend for entertainment if you don’t want to. The activities board does a great job of bringing entertainment onto campus for students (at no additional charge) which is always a plus! For example, last weekend there was a free showing of Les Miserables on Saturday night in an auditorium on campus, and this weekend there is a comedian, and there have been magicians, hypnotists, and mentalists as well.

Last weekend, my friends and I decided to get away from campus and explore some of the surrounding area. On Fridays most of us get out of class pretty early which is nice, so we decided to take advantage of that and head to Portland. We explored 23rd street which is a great area of the city; there are local shops, major stores, and incredible ice cream! Salt and Straw is a delicious local homemade ice cream parlor which uses sea salt in their ice cream. Weird, I know, but we had to give it a try. It was amazing! Truly an odd combination, sea salt, vanilla, and caramel, but it was great. We also walked along the waterfront and caught the sunset along the river.

Sunday morning we decided to get up at 5:30am to catch the sunrise.  We drove to one of my new favorite hikes: Cascade Head. It is only about 45 minutes away, about a 7 mile hike, and the views are breathtaking. There are rare wildflowers and species of butterflies and I, being into biology, find that kind of stuff really cool. It was a great way to spend the morning!

Part of my decision to come to Linfield was due to the region. You can have plenty to do right here on campus, you can have major shopping and entertainment really close, and you can also have the beach and some incredible outdoor recreation too!

I love exploring my new surroundings with great friends; this is life!

Until next time,

-Austin