Austin: Why I decided on Linfield

Prospective students and families, as well as peers, often ask: why did you end up choosing Linfield?

1.)    Size. I wanted a school where I could develop personal relationships with my professors and have professors who cared about me. I wanted a school where I could go to my professor’s office and receive help if I needed it. I wanted classes taught by professors, not graduate students, and I wanted them to know my name. I found all of these features at Linfield once I visited for the first time. I met with a professor last year, hadn’t seen her since, and ran in to her at a lecture a little while ago and she still remembered me! That is just a glimpse to what I’ve experienced so far at Linfield. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone into my professor’s office with questions and they have sat down with me, sometimes for more than an hour, and explained concepts to me. That kind of individualized attention is what I wanted, and that is what I am getting—it’s an amazing feeling!

2.)    Research opportunity. I knew that I wanted to study Biology and focus on completing the pre-med requirements. Gaining the experience of being a research student in a lab at the undergraduate level is not heard of very often… let alone at the freshman level! I started researching with Dr. Reinke during Jan term and it has been an incredible experience. She takes the time to explain complex terms and procedures, some of which she didn’t learn until graduate school, and welcomes any questions. I cannot convey how grateful I am to have such a rare and highly individualized opportunity like researching. The skills I am learning will be applicable for the rest of my time here at Linfield, in medical school, and also in a professional sense. I wanted the opportunity to research, and I am—pretty cool!

3.)    Study Abroad. I knew I wanted a school with a well-developed study abroad program because I knew I wanted to study abroad during college. I am hoping to travel to Hong Kong my junior year, and if not, doing a Jan Term study abroad class. Linfield’s study abroad program is amazing and I love talking with students who have already gone, or are about to go. I wanted the ability to study abroad, and I’m going to get it—incredible!

4.)    Area. Being from Idaho, I wanted something other than dry, hot, and snow. McMinnville is wet, cooler, and rarely gets snow… so it seemed like a great fit. Also, I wanted a school that had a surrounding area that fit my interests. With Portland so close as well as the beach and lots of great hikes with places to camp so close ,it also seemed like a good match.

I applied to a variety of schools, some big, some small, some public, and some private. I chose Linfield based on its size and the amazing opportunities that accompany that. After visiting, I could visualize myself walking around, going to classes, and enjoying the campus; it is happening and I couldn’t be any more pleased with my decision to choose Linfield.

Until next time,

-Austin

Until next time,

-Austin