Kevin: Opportunities at Linfield

Hello again everyone. Today I would like to briefly talk about some of the fantastic opportunities that students have here at Linfield. First and foremost, one of the best things about Linfield is that we are a strictly undergraduate institution. This means that there are no graduate students. This also means that professors teach classes, not TA’s, and it really levels the playing field for the undergrads when it comes to taking advantage of the opportunities available. Personally I have had the opportunity to do research in collaboration with a number of Chemistry faculty since the beginning of my freshman year. As a Chemistry major this is the exact experience that I want to both learn about the subject I love and build my resume for life after Linfield. As you may know from some of my previous blog posts, I spent the summer here at Linfield doing research, and also gave a poster presentation at the Murdock Conference last fall. This past weekend we went to the Oregon Academy of Sciences Conference, which was hosted at Willamette University. The Chemistry Department alone had students give a total of 6 of the 14 oral presentations in Chemistry. Members of the American Chemical Society’s Portland Chapter were present for these and judged each presentation based on the quality of the presentation and experience of the presenter. Yours truly took first place, and another Linfield student took third! Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. Opportunities such as these are not present in just the Chem Department here; on the contrary there are many opportunities in every department and truly something for everyone here at Linfield. These opportunities are really what makes Linfield stand out to me, and hopefully you see that too! If you’re curious about opportunities at Linfield, my best advice would be to contact a professor from the department you’re interested in. They are always more than happy to hear from students, especially those that share a passion for knowledge in their subject of expertise. So that’s all I have for today, but stay tuned as there will be many blog posts to follow. Until then check out a picture of me giving my presentation!

Til next time,

Kevin

This is a picture of Kevin giving a presentation about his research at the Oregon Academy of Sciences Conference on March 2, 2013

This is a picture of me giving a presentation about my research at the Oregon Academy of Sciences Conference on March 2, 2013.