Austin: November?

The last two weeks have been incredibly busy, filled with traveling, debate madness, and intense class loads. I’m still getting used to the idea that it is November.  Fall is finally transitioning into winter as the leaves are falling and the trees are finally becoming bare. It is wet with lots of fog and rain, which is a welcome change from Idaho climate. I’m loving the weather here so far, so if you’re from somewhere really dry and hot, moving to Oregon could be a nice change.

This last weekend I participated in the 82nd Mahaffey Forensics Tournament (not science, speech and debate). I was apart of the debate team in high school for three years and absolutely loved it, thus why I am continuing in college. The competition is at a whole new level and learning a new style has been challenging, yet exciting. My partner and I took home some hardware which is always exciting and we were able to organize and observe a Skype debate with students in Afghanistan. Yes, Afghanistan. Hearing their insight on the troops being withdrawn was an incredible experience, and also just to chat with them and learn more about their culture was fascinating. Being apart of the team has been a good experience thus far, and being able to connect with people across the globe is just another example of how fortunate I am to be at a small school with ample opportunities.

This weekend and the last three days have been incredibly busy. Biology has been heavy with complex labs and content, I had a calc test, and my big research project for my Asian culture class is coming right around the corner. I also helped out with Fall Open House on Monday, which was a cool experience to connect with some prospective students, and I had meetings for other clubs and activities as well. Needless to say, I am ready for break!

Fall is coming to a close, the semester is almost over, and break is just a few short days away. Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day activities and get bogged down, forgetting the big picture. Everyday, I try to remind myself how grateful I really am to be here at Linfield, it has been a learning experience so far, as I’m sure it will continue to be.

Until next time, enjoy Thanksgiving and relax… I’m going to!

-Austin