Austin: What a Week

Another week has gone by, many laughs have been shared, many nights of wanting to pull my hair out because of stressful exams, and of course, many nights of missing home. I had a big Biology midterm last night, the second of three tests that are worth half of my grade. After two full hours of taking the exam, I went out with a bunch of my friends to get some ice cream and celebrated. That’s the great thing about college; you get to do what you want, when you want, which I think is pretty cool.

Family weekend is coming up soon and I can’t wait to see them. I’ve always considered myself to be a fairly independent person, able to watch after my little brother when my parents are away and whip up some dinner when needed. However, moving 9 hours away changes things a little bit. It’s not that I don’t love college and feel comfortable living on my own, but it’s the daily interaction with my parents and siblings that I miss most. I’ve come to realize that wanting to call and get caught up with your parents and brothers isn’t a bad thing- and missing them is nothing to be embarrassed about.

In other news, I am in the process of writing a paper for my INQS East Asian Culture class-comparing an ancient Taoist poem with one of my favorite films, The Dead Poet’s Society. If you haven’t seen it, go right now, buy it, and watch it: you won’t regret it. The idea of challenging yourself, gaining a new prospective, and embracing something like Poetry and applying it to life are principles I try to live by. In the film, the students have a teacher who does exactly that: challenges them to gain a new prospective by literally standing atop a desk, challenges their current way of thinking, and inspires them to step outside their comfort zone. In high school, I had two teachers who served as my “Robin Williams”; my freshman year English teacher as well as my senior year English teacher. Both taught me the importance of discovering myself and branching outside of my comfort zone, writing about edgy topics and investigating challenging subjects. If you have one or many of those teachers who have truly inspired you, tell them! I’m sure, as an educator, one of the most gratifying experiences they can encounter is receiving a note from a student saying: “thanks for teaching me and changing my life.”  

Overall, it’s been a stressful week, filled with tests and heavy lectures, busy days at work, and nights with only a few hours of sleep, but underneath it all- I’m having the time of my life. I’m at my dream school, meeting new people and developing strong friendships, literally learning about life in Biology, pursuing my dreams of becoming a physician one day at a time. I’m living life. You should too!

Until Next Time,

-Austin