Kyra: Another Autumn!

I’m already into my second month as a junior here at Linfield—things have been such a whirlwind! First of all, I’m now an upperclassman (woman, actually). I have my own apartment on campus—with my own room! No more sharing, hurrah! This also means I now feel little less guilt about being a little more lax about my tendency to leave books and various clothing articles all over my room. I’m working on this habit.  It’s a process.

I’ve loved every second of junior year thus far; it’s been so great to see how everyone has grown since our freshman year. Linfield is already a very comfortable and friendly campus, but I feel like I’ve become even closer to my friends and professors over the past two years. (Two Years!!) I pop into my advisor’s office, Lex Runciman, every now and then to say hello—talking about the new Emily Dickinson photo that just resurfaced or the upcoming American Poetry class over Jan Term this year. I’m also peer assisting in an INQS class with another one of my professors, Dr. Reshmi Dutt-Ballerstadt, called Multicultural America. As a student of color, I’m really enjoying this so far—we’re exploring all aspects of what it means to be “multicultural”. It’s really interesting to see the new freshman, as well as hear what they have to say about these issues. Of course, I’m secretly (or not so secretly) trying to recruit them to the English department.

As for my social life, I find I’m doing A LOT of dinner parties with my friends. Now that we live in the apartments, getting together and making dinner is really popular. I’m getting together with several of my friends tonight—Andrea, Mike, and Robin—to have a fancy dinner party. Mike is apparently making his masterpiece, some sort of pesto pasta with sun dried tomatoes. I am never one to turn down the offer of pasta. For dessert, Robin and I are making  gluten-free crepes, which we’re trying to perfect. Progress is good so far, but we’ve eaten a lot of crepes in a very short amount of time. Thankfully, because of this, my personal cooking skills have vastly improved—I’m actually quite a good cook now. I’ve come a very long way from setting the oven on fire from my attempts at making nachos. My mom is very proud of me, or maybe she’s just relieved that I’m not going to starve.

We’ve had surprise parties—for Andrea’s birthday—girl’s potluck nights, study/movie parties in the library, and much more. It all feels like life is going by very quickly. I love every second of it.

School is going well, too. I’m in all English/Creative Writing classes this semester. It’s amazing! I really get to focus on my major, and figuring out what I want to specialize in. We just started reading “Invisible Man” by Ralph Ellison in my Ethnicity/Race in the US Novel course. This is the first time I’ve read the novel, and I’m completely in love with it. On just the second or third page, I found an absolutely amazing quote, “You ache with the need to convince yourself that you do exist in the real world, that you’re a part of all the sound and anguish, and you strike out with your fists, you curse and you swear to make them recognize you,”. It’s just so evocative. I’m also taking a Romantic Literature course, my favorite period of writing. Tomorrow, we’re reading John Keats, “To Autumn”. It’s the perfect segue to fall.

The deadline to submit to Camas, our literary magazine, is coming up as well. I’m very bad about remembering to submit on the deadline, so I’m frantically preparing to send in my poetry. In last year’s edition, I had several of my favorite poems that I’ve written published, so I’m excited to see what’s included this year. We just premiered an online edition /archive so people who don’t have access to a hard copy of the magazine can read it: http://www.linfield.edu/camas.html

This was a long post! I haven’t written in quite a while, so there was a bit to say! I’ll try and update more often. Life goes so quickly here, it’s hard to keep track of everything. It’s completely worth it.