Kevin: Summertime at Linfield College

My freshman year ended a month ago and yet I am still here at Linfield. Why, might you ask? I was hired as an undergraduate research assistant for the summer in Linfield’s Chemistry Department.

This past month has been one of the best months of my life, and hopefully I am able to fully articulate why. Well first off, at the beginning of the month I was just finishing up a quick visit home after the end of the semester. It was great to see family and friends, but the entire time in the back of my mind I was itching to get back to Oregon. My final grades were posted around this time too, and that only added to my overall happy demeanor. Hard work paid off this semester, but I definitely have some fantastic professors to thank as well. When I got back to campus I moved out of Whitman Hall and into one of the apartment complexes on campus where students are housed for the summer. I’m in a double apartment with more space than my roommate and I know what to do with. Needless to say it is an awesome living situation. On top of that I get to go to work every day to a job I have come to love.

I am one of about 30 students who are on campus doing research in either Chemistry, Biology, or Physics, and boy are we having a blast. We meet weekly for lunch meetings to talk about our research, much of which is interdepartmental, meaning many of us are collaborating together on some pretty cool projects. The benefits of this work have already made themselves evident. I have not only built great relationships with peers in scientific fields, but with the professors as well. While the departments have their friendly rivalries, the whole science community is extremely close knit, and we have each other’s backs. It’s absolutely insane to think that a month has already gone by, but I am looking forward to enjoying the months, and hopefully more summers, to come here at Linfield. This past month has solidified for me that Linfield is truly that place for me. I have almost had to pinch myself to remember that this isn’t some fantasy dream, this is real life! If you think the Linfield life that I’m living sounds interesting, I highly encourage you to come check us out. The Office of Admission is open for the summer, with students and admission counselors working there as well. Tell them Kevin sent you, and you won’t be disappointed.

Hope you’re having as great a summer as I am. Til next time,

Kevin