Kevin: December has come quick; pausing to look back

It was exactly 15 weeks ago today that I first set foot on campus as a Linfield Student. As the title says, December has come quick. It honestly blows my mind to look back and see how much Linfield has done for me in such a short amount of time. I have an amazing job in the Admission Office. I have fantastic professors, all of which are extremely supportive and helpful while being experts in their field of study. I am involved in a number of activities with a truly spectacular group of people. From my IM Volleyball team to my research group in the Chemistry Department to our group of Linfield RISE Mentors, I am making friends that I am sure I will keep for much longer than my four years here at Linfield. And on that note, here’s my piece of advice to everyone who is currently undertaking the daunting task of figuring out where they will be going to college. The one thing I want to stress above all else when it comes to looking at a school that you are going to spend the next four years of your life at is the people who will be there with you. It’s a given that you’re going to look at a school that has academic and/or extracurricular programs that you’re interested in. It makes sense that you’ll target schools in a location that has a desirable proximity to your hometown and that you’ll be able to afford. But in my opinion, the people that make up the school are almost more important than any of these things. From the students to the professors, and even the support staff, these are people that you will be interacting with on a daily basis. This means that you’ll want to go to a school that has people that are just as cool as you are. For me, Linfield is that school. The professors are very nice and extremely approachable, which is perfect because I am one that generally asks a lot of questions. Sometimes they are completely random, and it doesn’t matter here because Linfield professors love all kinds of academic discussions. The support staff does a fantastic job. I can honestly say that I am on a first name basis with many of the people that work in Dillin, the dining hall, or for Facilities Services. These people are just as important as a professor when it comes to creating a functioning campus. But finally it’s the students that make Linfield the hidden gem that it is. You wont realize it until you come and see for yourself, but just about every Linfield student has something that they are passionate about. It may be an academic subject in which they conduct research, it may be a certain extracurricular activity, but no matter what it is, Linfield students give 100% effort into the thing they are passionate about. The result is that here in the small town of McMinnville, Oregon, we have a family of about 1700 students and staff are finding different ways of having their own impact on the world. It doesn’t get much better than that. If this at all sounds interesting, I highly encourage you to come check us out. I love it here, and I’d be happy to show you why.

Til next time,

Kevin